Solar farm shining bright

Adani Renewables Australia’s Rugby Run solar farm has achieved mechanical completion with more than 247,000 solar panels now installed.

The Rugby Run solar farm, located near Moranbah, will deliver up to 65MW and 185,000MWh of power each year, which is about how much energy it takes to power 23,000 homes each year.

Adani Renewables Australia CEO, Dr Jennifer Purdie, said construction has progressed well.

“With another major construction milestone under our belt, we’re now preparing for final works so that we can deliver our customers with energy from early next year,” Dr Purdie said.

“We have forward sold 80% of energy generated already, and we will sell the remaining 20% on the spot market,” she said.

Final construction at the 670 hectare site will include completing electrical connection works and energizing the solar farm.

Dr Purdie said Queenslanders were looking for industry to include renewables in the electricity generation mix.

“Adani Renewables Australia is eager to provide energy solutions that meet the needs of all Australians by contributing to an energy mix that is reliable, secure and affordable for all customers as we transition to a future of sustainable energy provision,” she said.

The Rugby Run solar farm is Adani Renewables Australia’s flagship project in Australia, ensuring regional Queensland has received the benefits of more than 175 jobs required for peak construction periods.

“There are a number of construction stages within the solar farm delivery process that use skills which are transferrable from other industries like the mining sector.

“For this reason we’ve been able to use local Queensland contractors from Clermont, Chinchilla, Bowen and Townsville ensuring the benefits of this investment are focused in regional Queensland.

“The Rugby Run solar farm is our first project in Australia.

“We have recently received pre-construction approval to deliver a solar farm in Whyalla in South Australia and we’re now in commercial negotiations with potential customers for this project.”